A couple of music items I’d like to share:
A relatively new Dutch band, who released their second album last month. Put jazz and blues and folk and pop together, and you get Room Eleven1. This band caught my eye on siagrafica2, but I wasn’t 100% convinced until I watched their live gig on Fabchannel3. Amazing.
Room Eleven: Hey Hey Hey!
Blonde Redhead4 have been going for fifteen years already. Behind my back, too! I only found them last year via Skatterbrain5, and was immediately hooked. Their music is melancholic and dramatic, but not soppy or wimpy. Excellent listening when you’re running at the pace of approximately 9,5km/hr.
Blonde Redhead: 23
The dø are a Finnish/French folk/pop duo. Slash slash. According to last.fm, the dø “can be classifed as diverse, incorporating many different genres and styles, including avant-garde noise, hip-hop and classical music. Thus the music could be said to fit into the freak folk-genre.” Sounds pretty accurate. Here is the dø on MySpace. Very charming!
the dø: Stay just a little bit more
- I like their website a lot. It’s designed by David Pino and coded by Appel.
- My favourite Dutch design blog. A worldly design blog, with a local slant, I should say!
- Also a great website. Just found an Arcade Fire gig from three years ago, and omg they don’t sound too good! Must be the recording.
- For all the lovers of music trivia: Blonde Redhead is named after a song by an experimental New York no wave band called DNA. Now tell me what “no wave” means?
- If I’m out of ideas for interesting music, I visit this site.